There has been an increasing need for users to provide administrative credentials for seemingly everyday tasks in newer versions of macOS. To make the process smoother, we've created a MacManage action to temporarily promote Standard accounts to Administrator accounts. This action allows one to authenticate an installer or queue up a restart — and log the activity — without the inherent risk of running an Administrator account 24/7.
This action is only available by request and must be approved by the organization.
HOW TO PROMOTE YOUR ACCOUNT
Suppose you need to update a piece of software or authorize a restart from System Preferences for a system extension. Follow these steps to temporarily promote yourself to an Administrator:
- Open your Applications folder and launch MacManage.
- Search for the item named Grant me admin access - click the Install button to begin.
- Confirm you'd like to proceed by clicking OK.
- You'll be asked to provide a reason for the promotion. Provide as much information or context as possible for your request, as it is recorded.
- Your request will be sent to the support desk to be instantly recorded. Then, you'll be promoted to Administrator and shown the following box:
- Perform any actions required, then click Restore to return to a Standard user. If your Mac needs to restart, your account should return to its secure, Standard account status when you log back in.
If your request is unable to be sent to the support desk for logging, it will be declined, and you'll need to reach out to your support team.
Should you need to try again, please verify your internet connection before quitting and re-opening MacManage to start over.
If you request admin access *after* you have had a popup appear where you were required to type in administrative credentials, you'll need to type in both your username and password. Once you've promoted yourself, any new authentication request windows should automatically fill in your username.
While temporarily promoted, you will *not* have access to the Users & Groups System Preferences pane. If you need to edit settings in that preference pane, please contact your support team.