Microsoft Office 365 issue late yesterday
Today the status shows all good at https://portal.office.com/servicestatus, but still some fallout with re-authenticating and where integration is utilized. This issue did affect many of our clients — and our own team.
Challenges in changing passwords
- Anti-malware and anti-virus software does reduce our risk (like airbags in a car) but we must still be responsible and aware of how we use technology (how we drive).
- A good, long password is better than a short, complicated password
- Use a password manager! We use 1Password.
- It is no longer necessary to change passwords every 90 days. See Password policy recommendations from Microsoft based on guidelines published by https://www.nist.gov/
Dangers of "spoofed" domains
- This week a client was targeted by a criminal who purchased a very similar looking domain name... For example, if your domain is automobiles.com, the criminal registered automoblles.com.
- We can't prevent domain spoofs but if something looks out of the ordinary then scrutinize ...
trust but verify.
Mysteries of macOS Privacy Explained
- Starts 18 min 34 seconds into the video.
- Since the recent macOS 10.14 and 10.15, there have been an increase in security pop-ups.
- Apple dialogue boxes can be confusing
- Standard User accounts (vs. Admin) may need our assistance to make some changes
- Review your System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy
- Pay special attention to Camera, Microphone, and Screen Recording for apps such as RingCentral, Teams, and Zoom.
- See related article, What Are All These New Privacy Request Dialogs in Mojave & Catalina?