- Zoom issue
- General discussion about Apple + Google's project for contact-tracing (but not too much because this could get into the weeds. Maybe a teaser and save more for our podcast next week?)
- WFH are always worthwhile ... from our KB
- Cloud storage ... Box, OneDrive (pros and cons), Egnyte (creatives) WireDrive/Shift (video)
Video conference platforms
- Google Meets (formerly Hangouts), RingCentral, Zoom, and Teams.
- Zoom has been easiest for novice users, there are security options but often users weren't aware of them, extreme reactions to banning the use of Zoon was typically not warranted.
- See how to secure meetings screen for any of the apps
- Forget Computers typically uses RingCentral for group meeting with multiple users and Microsoft Teams for internal one-on-ones.
- Utilize the Waiting Room feature.
- Traditionally used to get resources from the office when working remotely. Now can be used as an extra layer of security.
- Cloud storage can reduce the need for a VPN connect to the office.
- If you must utilize a VPN to reach your office server, then grab the file(s) you need, download and disconnect the VPN.
- If multiple users are on an office VPN it can slow everyone down.
- Popular cloud storage options:
- OneDrive (Microsoft solution - sometimes slow)
- Google Drive
Internet at home
- Skip the Wi-Fi and plug into the router/modem if possible.
- Wi-Fi should be limited to phones and tablets (not your workstation) for the fastest connection speed(s).
- Use at Cat6 Ethernet cable plugged directly into the router/moved (cables can be purchased at monoprice.com)
- Mac users will often need a USB-C adapter to connect to an Ethernet cable.
- Fast.com is a speed tool developed by Netflix to help you determine your connection speeds.
Shadow IT — A term used to describe employees "working in the shadows" to build their own solution to get their jobs done. Typically this involves unauthorized software or hardware.
- Criminals are opportunistic and attempt to create a sense of urgency.
- Don't click on links within emails — go to the websites directly.
- Use pii-protect.com for resiliency training.