Fonts can be the root cause of several computer issues (see Have Font Problems? Get a Font Tune-up!) The Forget Computers Font Standard (or specification) is a quick and easy way to ensure users have a streamlined set of fonts residing in the myriad font folders of Mac OS X.
The Forget Computers Font Standard is best applied to machines runing a professional (paid) font management application (not FontBook).
How To Apply the Forget Computers Font Standard
- Open Applications > Utilities > Terminal: sudo jamf policy -trigger fontstandard
- Drag the folders of sorted fonts into the font manager of your choice.
To automate the process of cleaning up fonts on a client machine we have created a script that automates the manual actions of moving, sorting and organizing fonts on a Mac. Once executed this script will perform the following actions:
- Rename the existing managed font folder if it already exists.
- Create the following directories in Users > Shared:
• Font Standard
• Font Standard > Library (Mac OS X)
• Font Standard > OpenType Fonts
• Font Standard > User Fonts (Mac OS X)
- Disable Mircosoft Office 2004 font regeneration.
- Move Microsoft Office fonts if present to Users > Shared > Font Standard > Microsoft Fonts
- Move Adobe Creative Suite fonts if present to Users > Shared > Font Standard > OpenType Fonts
- Move any OpenType fonts in Library > Fonts to Users > Shared > Font Standard > OpenType Fonts
- Move any TTF fonts in Library > Fonts to Users > Shared > Font Standard > Library Fonts (Mac OS X)
- Move fonts in each user to Users > Shared > Font Standard > User Fonts (Mac OS X) > [USER]'s fonts