Office 365: Using an MFA-enabled account with 3rd-party email clients
If the email client you're using isn't made by Microsoft, your Office 365 password won't work.
- If it's an app that is made by Microsoft (Outlook 2016 for Mac, Outlook for iOS) you can use your Office 365 password.
- If it's a non-Microsoft app (Mail on iOS or macOS, Android native email app), you will need to make a unique app password for each one that you're using:
- Sign into your Office 365 account at .
- Once you've successfully signed in go to . (Yes, it can be slow to load.)
- Click the App Password link at the top (NOTE: it looks like it’s part of the page title so it’s easy to overlook).
- Click the Create button.
- Make a name to identify which device this is for.
- The newly generated password will appear on the following screen. NOTE: This is the only time it will appear so make a note of it in your records, otherwise you'll just need to make a new one.